Pages

Friday, September 6, 2013

Mesenchyme? What is it?!

Mesenchyme.

If you're like a lot of people, your response when you see this word is, "Huh"? I'm a biology major that should supposedly know science-y things like the back of my hand, but when I came across this word my mind went blank.

I first encountered this word on my first Histology quiz. Just reading it sent my mind into a world wind of thoughts from, 'Oh my gosh, Cherriese! How could you not have learned this word for this quiz?!' to 'Hehe, mesenchyme rhymes with time. Oh, and it rhymes with rhyme!'. I regained my focus (eventually) and kind of deduced what it was to help  lead to me to the correct answer.

But what is mesenchyme? It turns out that it is a connective tissue that is undifferentiated and derived from the mesoderm. Their elongated cells form a network of processes in the cytoplasm. What is so cool about these cells is that these are stem cells that you retain from when you're born into your adulthood. They can form into many tissues like ones found in the lymphatic system or the circulatory system or can develop into bone or cartilage. When there is uncontolled division in these cells, it can lead to a form of cancer that most people have heard about: sarcoma.

Mesenchymal Cell Differentiation

Mesenchyme doesn't follow time by staying neutral and not being claimed as "mine". That was corny. I'll just stop this rhyme.

No comments:

Post a Comment